Saturday, August 11, 2007

Kitchy cake fabric




We live in a three level townhouse. You enter into an 8 foot by 6 foot foyer with a coat closet and half bath off to the side. This foyer leads into the dining and living area and has an entrance to the side to the kitchen. The kitchen, therefore, is at the front of the house with a window in the center looking out to the sidewalk and parking.

Now, we have lived here for THREE YEARS and I still don't have anything up on these windows. Painting and installing new windows was a SLOW thing during my difficult pregnancy and the first two sleepless years. This means, of course, that anyone walking by can see how long it's been since I've done dishes, how many recycling boxes I have building up (no garage equals nowhere to go with "stuff" so our "outgoing" stuff tends to get stashed behind our kitchen island.

About a year ago I found some really cute 40s and 50s kitchy wall plates, rolling pins, etc with sayings on them. Here are a few: "Apology: Come in, sit down, relax, converse. Our house doesn't always look like this, sometimes it's even worse". Or, "In this kitchen there is only one
finger in the pot - mine". And "This kitchen is closed due to illness - I'm sick of cooking". And the one I love the most (that started it all) - "No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best. and so on. I have like 10 of these things and hope to make cute arrangement on the big, plain wall.

Well, I had bee trying to find some fabric to go with these things. I found a couple old Pennsylvania tablecloths that would work, but aren't quite right. Well, I finally found this fabric, thanks to our local cake supply store that has made them into, what else, curtains! I think they are rather fitting for my kitchen! Now to decide, do I want to make just a valance with wood blinds? Or Curtains with a valance? DH will probably hate them, but ummm... how much time does HE spend in the kitchen? Yep, thought so... I think he has no say! LOL

No comments: