Saturday, September 8, 2007

Gotta say, this is another of my favorites!

First picture is the sloppy, icky bow, second is successful bow, last is finished cake.
Phew, it's done! Notice I didn't check in this morning? LOL I started it at 10 pm last night - baked and made the bow parts and colored the icing. I went to bed at 1:30 am, got up at 6:30, iced it, made the bow and realized that I had made the loops too thin and too long, so I made new bow parts. Then I went to the Farmer's Market, came home, put on the borders, went to work at a fair this morning for 3 hours, then came home, had lunch, put on the writing and polka dots, remade the bow and THANK GOODNESS this time it turned out, then added the roses which she wanted if I had time and if it fit.

Now, my family had seen me assembling it all morning, but Adrian hadn't seen the bow until it was on the finished cake. When he came downstairs, he said, "Wow!!! How did you do that? that's fantastic!" OK, that sealed it, this is a really good cake! LOL DH was really impressed too.

When I delivered it the birthday girl didn't want to see it because she wanted it to be a surprise and the mother loved it. Her only comment was, "I LOVE it, but if I were to change one thing, I would have the handwriting darker." I agreed, but told her I was keeping with her "keep it light, not too dark" so I was afraid to go darker, and she agreed, lighter was better than darker as that was her concern.

I made a spare cake for the family and SOOOO yummy (though ours didn't have icing, just fresh strawberry filling and dark chocolate torte. It turned out SOOOO well and survived the drive there. Phew... another "something new" cake and still a success. Though my first attempt at the bow was scary - good thing I was prepared for that! LOL

No comments: